Fighting EX Layer (ファイティングEXレイヤー Faitingu Īekkusu Reiyā?) is a fighting game developed by Arika. The game, also known by its former working title Arika EX, features Arika's original characters, previously featured in their Street Fighter EX games, and is also a spiritual successor to both Street Fighter EX and the arcade game Fighting Layer. The game was released on the 28th of June, 2018 for PlayStation 4. A PC version and a physical release were announced on September 28, 2018. It was also released for the arcades by Taito on the 29th of November, 2018, using the NesicaXLive 2 engine, and released on the 29th and 30th of November 2018 for Steam.
The gameplay retains many of the mechanics from Arika's previous fighting games, such as Super Cancels, with the addition of a run mechanic. The fights take place in closed arenas, which also vary in size and width. Additionally, it features ground chain combos from L-M-H like in Street Fighter X Tekken and a simplified special/super command move input function known as Progressive, while Classic function retains its original special/super command move input function.
Fighting EX Layer also introduces Gougi boost, which contains every boost properties within the existing Gougi selections, granted the players this mechanic's various boost-ups.
|Allen Snider||Street Fighter EX|
|Area (DLC)||Street Fighter EX2 Plus|
|Blair Dame||Street Fighter EX|
|Darun Mister||Street Fighter EX|
|Doctrine Dark||Street Fighter EX|
|Garuda||Street Fighter EX (NPC boss)|
|Hokuto (DLC)||Street Fighter EX|
|Jack||Street Fighter EX|
|Kairi||Street Fighter EX|
|Pullum Purna (DLC)||Street Fighter EX|
|Sanane||Street Fighter EX2|
|Shadowgeist||Street Fighter EX2|
|Sharon (DLC)||Street Fighter EX2|
|Shirase||Street Fighter EX Plus|
|Skullomania||Street Fighter EX|
|Terry Bogard (DLC) (guest)||Fatal Fury: King of Fighters|
|Vulcano Rosso (DLC)||Street Fighter EX2 Plus|
Fighting EX Layer is being developed by Japanese video game development studio Arika. The studio previously developed the Street Fighter EX series (which were published by Capcom) and the arcade game Fighting Layer which are spiritual predecessors to Fighting EX Layer. Following the release of Street Fighter EX3 in 2000, Capcom halted the series. Over the years, Arika pitched multiple ideas to Capcom for a new entry in the EX series, including a demo they created for a Nintendo 3DS game titled Fighting Sample. However, none of the pitches were successful.
Staff at Arika had been working on a 3D fighting game prototype to familiarise themselves with the Unreal Engine 4. They decided to record some footage of the then untitled prototype and release a trailer on April Fools' Day in 2017. The positive reaction from fans led Arika to turn the project into a full fledged game, which they officially confirmed was real at EVO 2017.
Arika is funding the development of the game itself. Arika's president Akira Nishitani remarked that the company had just enough funds to see the project through to completion without external help. While he viewed the game as a passion project for the studio, he said that his primary goal was to keep the company healthy financially. Nishitani noted that he was searching for potential partnerships with publishers and investors to secure additional funding, which would allow the development team to expand the game's scope and character roster.
The game's official title was announced in November 2017. A public beta featuring six playable characters was made available to download on 11 December 2017. The beta was available on the PlayStation 4 video game console and ran for two weeks. The developers used the beta to test online connectivity and gather player feedback.
The April Fools' Day 2018 trailer of Fighting EX Layer, introduces not only a new logo and new characters (Shadowgeist, Nanase and Hayate), it also introduces the DLC concept art for Area, Pullum, Vulcano Rosso, and Sharon.
At Evo 2018, Arika announced Pullum and Rosso would be added in an update between late August and early September, along with a further revision to the game's Arcade Mode, and that they would be developing a version of the game for arcades. Arika also teased three more forthcoming characters: returning characters Sharon and Area, and guest fighter Terry Bogard from SNK's Fatal Fury series.
Fighting Layer EX was launched digitally for PlayStation 4 worldwide in June 28th, 2018.
The standard edition of the game cost $59.99, and includes 15 Gougi decks and 12 characters as well as a playable version of Hokuto. A "Light" version including five Gougi decks and 12 characters was also available for $39.99. Downloadable content will include "Type-A" and "Type-Gold" character color variations.
According to Arika, the game could also receive a physical release and a PC version via Steam if it does well.
- The game is the "evolution" of Fighting Sample, a 2011 project for the Nintendo 3DS that was one of many pitches that Arika presented to Capcom (as detailed above). The only footage shown of Fighting Sample were a gameplay video of Hokuto and Kairi, a group of screenshots featuring Blair, Shadowgeist and D. Dark, and another video showcasing Nanase, Allen, Darun and Skullomania.
- Terry Bogard's appearance in the game is part of a collaboration with SNK; Skullomania would later appear as an DLC character, and as a female just like what happen with Terry, in SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy.
- ↑ http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/15/arika-ex-officially-titled-fighting-ex-layer-beta-starts-december-11/
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/15/16654904/arika-mysterious-fighting-game-fighting-ex-layer-ps4-beta
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 https://twitter.com/FightingExLayer/status/1025954888813965314
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 https://www.resetera.com/threads/fighting-ex-layer-releasing-worldwide-before-the-end-of-june-exclusively-on-the-playstation-4.25753/
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/10/19/16499068/arika-mysterious-fighting-game-akira-nishitani
- ↑ http://shoryuken.com/2017/03/31/its-real-check-out-arikas-livestream-of-their-new-street-fighter-exfighting-layer-based-fighter/
- ↑ https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/16/15979080/arika-fighting-game-street-fighter-ex-evo-2017
- ↑ https://pvplive.net/c/arika-confirms-new-fighting-game-for-20th-annivers
- ↑ https://www.destructoid.com/fighting-ex-layer-s-beta-is-now-available-for-download-on-ps4-477387.phtml
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHQDWSAkiwg
- ↑ Fighting Sample video 1
- ↑ Fighting Sample screenshots
- ↑ Fighting Sample video 2