Metro City is the main setting for the Final Fight series. It also appears as a major recurring location within the Street Fighter series while a futuristic depiction of the city also appears in Captain Commando.
Districts and LandmarksEdit
The original Final Fight depicted Metro City as being divided up into six districts:
- The Slums
- The Park (with the main Subway station underneath)
- The West Side
- The Industrial Area
- The Bay Area
The game progresses through subsections of each of these districts.
Final Fight 3 went into further detail on the locales of the city, introducing seven further locations:
- The Police Station(including a prison)
- The Bar
- The Bus Stop
- The Ship
- China Town
- The Factory
- The Final (the Sims Inc Building)
All of these locations are presumably within the six main districts (for example the Ship is presumably within the Bay Area), though this obviously cannot be confirmed and China Town does not have any obvious connection to any of the districts.
In Captain Commando, the futuristic version of Metro City is divided into 6 areas:
- Ninja House
- Circus Camp
In addition, the Underground Base, which is the seventh level of the game, takes place just outside the vicinity of Metro City.
In Super Street Fighter IV, the Skyscraper Under Construction stage reveals that Metro City has built a giant bronze statue of Mike Haggar. In Street Fighter × Tekken and Ultra Street Fighter IV, the Mad Gear Hideout stage, within a kabuki theatre, may also be located in Metro City. In Street Fighter V, the Metro City Bay Area stage reveals that Abigail supposedly renounced his life of crime and started a mechanic's garage in the Metro City Bay Area called "Abigail's Scrap Metal". In Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, the Ring of Justice stage from the statue of Mike Haggar, it can be inferred that it is located in the Metro City.
In the crossover fighting game Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, due to the actions of Ultron Sigma, Metro City is merged with Marvel's iteration of New York City, becoming New Metro City. However, Marvel's Avengers Tower, much like Sigma's territory of Abel City from Mega Man X where rest of Abel City locations merged with Marvel's iteration of Asgard into Xgard are the only known locations that hasn't been affected by the convergence.
Culture and EconomyEdit
Located on the East Coast of the USA, a lifetime spent in decay has caused Metro City to be renowned as a "crime capital" and many of the streets are simply ruled by gangs. Cage fighting and other illegal underground bloodsports can be found in locations around the city. After the events of Final Fight 3, Haggar's administration appears to have undertaken the rebuilding and several construction sites have been seen as stages in Metro City in the Street Fighter series.
- Although Guy's stages in Street Fighter Alpha 2 is supposed to take place in Metro City, on the world map it is depicted as being on the West coast of the USA. According to the map provided by the original Final Fight, Metro City is on the Atlantic Coast, so Guy's stage is in the wrong place, despite artwork claiming that the stage indeed does take place there. This is either due to developer error or a Final Fight 2-style situation where Haggar and co. have chased the Mad Gear around the world.
- Metro City seems to be heavily based on Manhattan Island in New York City. Both share many features including both being relatively close to the Atlantic Ocean, a similar island silhouette, similar boroughs and districts around the city, a large park in the middle of the city, and a statue of liberty on an island off the coast of the main city.
- One of Final Fight's stages, the Subway, had an appearance in the Street Fight mode from Street Fighter × All Capcom.
- The placement of the Statue of Liberty and the Chrysler Building in the background of Street Fighter V's Metro City Bay Area stage seem to suggest that Metro City is located across the bay from Manhattan. Despite some inaccuracies like the Statue of Liberty facing the opposite direction that it should, this would seem to place Metro City where Jersey City is located in real life with Abigail's scrap shop situated somewhere along the Liberty State Park boardwalk.