Ninjutsu is a real-life form of martial art centered around unconventional warfare and espionage that is purportedly practiced by the shinobi (commonly known outside of Japan as ninja).
Ninjutsu (忍術?) (sometimes used interchangeably with the more modern term ninpō (忍法 ninpou?)) was regarded more as an art of tricks than a martial art. Ninjutsu was a different discipline in some traditional Japanese schools, which integrated study of more conventional martial arts along with shurikenjutsu, kenjutsu, sōjutsu, bōjutsu, and battlefield grappling kumi-uchi (an old form of jujutsu) among other practitions.
In Street Fighter Edit
Many playable characters use variations of Ninjitsu (some like Vega combine Ninjitsu with bullfighting or Guy with Bushinryu). Characters who practice the art are usually faster characters who have low damage output. It is not uncommon for Ninjitsu characters to be below average health, examples include; Maki, Ibuki and occasionally Vega.
Ninjitsu characters tend to, but not always, struggle against Grappler style characters as their usually below average health and close up playstyles leave them open to being command grabbed. To counter this, Ninjitsu characters tend to be able to counter zoning characters by having many mobility options, and go toe to toe with other speed style characters.
- Vega (With Bull-fighting experience)
- Sawada (minimal basics)
- Maki (Bushinryu)
- Ginzu the Ninja (Bushinryu)
- Zeku (Bushinryu)
- Hokuto (certain elements)
- In the original Final Fight, Guy's fighting style was listed as "Ninjitsu" rather than "Ninjutsu" or "Bushinryu".
- Ibuki also refereed to her fighting style as "Ninjitsu" in the Street Fighter III games.
- While only Ibuki is the pure Ninjutsu character who is fully playable in Street Fighter games, and most playable characters use variations/parts of/ derivatives of ninjutsu, all non playable Ninjutsu characters are pure Ninjutsu practitioners.
- As Ibuki herself was in the background of a Capcom Fighting Evolution every pure Ninjutsu using character has been an NPC at least once.
- Rival Schools character Raizo Imawano was formerly part of a ninja clan in the past. However, he hasn't been officially cited as an ninjutsu practitioner and he doesn't display any skills of the art whatsoever in his moveset.