SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (頂上決戦最強ファイターズ ＳＮＫ ＶＳ．ＣＡＰＣＯＭ Chijou Kessen Saikyou Fighters SNK vs. Capcom?, "Final Great Battle of the Strongest Fighters: SNK vs. Capcom") is a fighting game for the Neo-Geo Pocket Color. The game is part of the SNK vs. Capcom series; it is SNK's first fighting game and overall second game (after Card Fighters Clash) within the series. The Match of the Millennium features a total of 26 characters from SNK and Capcom, eight of which are unlockable.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Play options includes 2-fighter tag teams, 3-fighter queue teams, and of course, fighting solo. After that, the player can choose either a Capcom-style level meter, an SNK-style charge meter, or a 'neutral' meter that enhances super attacks if full.
Every character also has their own rival, whom they will fight at the fourth stage. The last two stages have the player fighting the tag team of Geese Howard and M. Bison, then, depending what the side opposite to their character's is, Orochi Iori or Evil Ryu.
As a side feature, there is Olympic mode, where the player can play themed minigames such as blasting Mars aliens FPS-style or helping Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins hop pits to snatch up treasure, as well as there being time-attack, first strike, and survival events. The players performance in these games earns them special vs. points which they can use to unlock a special attack for each character.
The Match of the Millennium is capable of linking with such other games as the Card Fighters Clash series and even the Dreamcast version of Capcom vs. SNK, but the only purpose this serves is data transfer. The Japanese version could also transfer data to the Dreamcast port of The King of Fighters '98 for character points.
The use of both companies' material is quite extensive, from every character having their theme playing (not always from the first games they appeared in), to the featuring of stages from both universes. There is also interesting screens shown when this game is used in a monochrome Neo Geo Pocket Color, with such things as Alex and K' staring at each other, Shermie dressed up as Morrigan, Morrigan herself donning a suit like that of M. Bison (at which Balrog and Vega stare in embarrassment), Chun-Li doing her taunt pose while Li Xiangfei plays a Neo Geo Pocket, and Lilith and Kaede playing Neo Geo Pocket together.
Characters[edit | edit source]
Playable[edit | edit source]
Hidden[edit | edit source]
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Olympic Mode only[edit | edit source]
DC LINK (Capcom vs. SNK)[edit | edit source]
Rivals[edit | edit source]
|Orochi Iori||Evil Ryu|
Music Themes[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This game uses the most cartridge space of any Neo Geo Pocket/Color game.
- This is the only Neo Geo Pocket Color game to not have the E-rating (E standing for "Everyone").
- Although The Match of the Millennium is based on the R- sub-series engine, several techniques from The King of Fighters R-1 and The King of Fighters R-2 have been left out of the game completely, including Rolling and Throw Escaping.
- A sequel to this game titled SNK vs. Capcom Advance was planned for the Game Boy Advance alongside The King of Fighters Advance (which became The King of Fighters EX: Neo Blood) and Metal Slug Advance. Though it was listed as TBA, the game was never teased or announced. However, a pseudo-sequel to this game, SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos, was released for the Neo Geo platform.
- Evil Ryu's stance was redrawn in this game, giving him a more zombie-like appearance.
- Billy Kane and Vega appear as helpers of Geese Howard and M. Bison, respectively.
- Charlie, Guile's former combat buddy, is addressed by his Japanese name "Nash" in the English version, in contrast to all the other Capcom characters in the game who have different names in the Japanese versions (i.e.: M. Bison, Vega, Akuma and B.B. Hood).
- Sagat makes a cameo appearance in the game; when the player completes an Olympic event with Ryu, the record screen will lampoon Ryu's ending in Street Fighter II, where a podium appears with M. Bison on the spot #2, Sagat on the spot #3 and nobody on the spot #1, to which appears a comment at the bottom of the screen: "What? Ryu's gone?".
- Special error messages featuring cameos from fighters who didn't make it into the game appear if a player attempts to play the game on a black-and-white Neo Geo Pocket rather than a Neo Geo Pocket Color. These cameos include: Alex and K', Yashiro and Chris, Yagyu and Genjuro, Kaede and Lilith, Xiangfei and Mars People, King and Chizuru, and Shoichiro Takatsu, SNK's spokesman at the time.
- In the "Cat Walk" Olympic event, Lord Raptor can be seen on the background playing his guitar.
- Akari Ichijou's level 2 special attack Reunion of the Hundred Demons has a bunch of characters from the Capcom and SNK universes. In order (from top to bottom):
- B.B. Hood's special attack Cool Hunting, when used in level 2, has a pair of Huitzils appear instead of the usual hunters.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Archived version of the official website (in Japanese)
- Wikipedia article
- SNK wikia article
- Capcom Database article
|SNK vs. Capcom series|
|Capcom-produced||Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 · Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 (EO)|
|SNK-produced||SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash · SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium · SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters 2 Expand Edition · SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos · SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters DS|