Street Fighter II: Yomigaeru Fujiwara-kyō (ストリートファイターII よみがえる藤原京 lit. Street Fighter II: Return to the Fujiwara Capital?), or Street Fighter II: A Revived Fujiwara-kyō - The Fighters Who Ran Through Time, is an anime educational short film and quasi-sequel to Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, given that it uses the same art-style from the former. It was released shortly after the anime film on March, 29, 1995 in Japan only.
From April to mid-May of 1995, an exhibition themed around Fujiwara, considered Japan's first real capital, took place in the Nara Prefecture of Japan, not far from Osaka. Capcom, a partner of the event, helped create a 20-minute anime documentary. This documentary was available only on VHS and sold only at the venue. The film shares the same art-style with Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, but in a very similar, albeit rougher style. The animation is done by Japanese animation studio, Pierrot.
For many years, it remained almost completely unknown, and was vaguely mentioned on two or three Japanese websites, acquiring the status of a "highly collectible" cult product. Luckily, this documentary was released on DVD to the market for the 15th anniversary of the Street Fighter series, making it more available to the foreign market, and is still available in some stores.
In the prologue, Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li are invited to Japan by E. Honda to witness the sumo wrestler's newest move, but a chain of events results in the four of them being sent back in time to Fujiwara, the ancient capital of Japan. Ryu and Ken both end up separated from Chun-Li and Honda, and set out to find them, all the while Ken telling Ryu about the history of Fujiwara and time travel, while learning about Japanese history. They eventually locate Chun-Li and later Honda, and soon, the four are all sent back to present-day Japan.
- Akio Ohtsuka as Ryu
- Keiichi Nanba as Ken Masters
- Daisuke Gouri as E. Honda
- Michie Tomizawa as Chun-Li
- Atsuko Mine as Praying Woman
- Hisayoshi Izaki as Patient
- Toshihiko Nakajima as Merchant
- Masahito Kawanago
- Matsuo Matsuo
- Yuko Ikeda
- This is the first Street Fighter anime that has a time travel element.
- The end credits of this film feature all four characters performing their favourite special moves.
- Street Fighter II: Yomigaeru Fujiwara-kyō is the only Street Fighter film that does not have any battle scenes.
- It is also the only film to not have a HD re-mastered or localized release, so far.
- Like Street Fighter Alpha: The Animation and Generations, the film was not included as part of the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary - Collector's Set.
- The film was bundled with the complete edition of the Street Fighter II: Ryu manga.
- ↑ Street Fighter II: Yomigaeru Fujiwara-kyō at Anime News Network
- ↑ Gros Pixels: Street Fighter, la série - Annexe 4: Les adaptations / STREET FIGHTER II YOMIGAERU FUJIWARA-KYÔ