Hi Phobos-Romulus -- we are excited to have Street Fighter Wiki as part of the Wikia community!
Starting a new wiki can be overwhelming, but don't worry, the Wikia Community Team is here to help! We have put together a few guides to getting started. They say imitation is the best form of flattery so absolutely check out other wikis on Wikia for ideas on layout, ways to organize your content, etc. We are all one big family at Wikia and the most important thing is to have fun!
- Our guide to Getting Started gives you 5 things you can do right now to set your wiki up for success
- We also put together some Advice On Starting a Wiki which provides a more a in-depth look at some of the important things you should consider when building a wiki
- If you are new to wikis in general than we recommend checking our new user FAQ
If you need help (which trust me we ALL do) you can access our full in-depth help at Help Wikia, or email us through our contact form. Also, you can visit our live #wikia chat channel any time. A lot of the veteran "Wikians" hang out here so its a good place if come if you want to get some advice or simply make friends.
Now, go edit! We look forward to seeing this project thrive!
Best wishes, Catherine Munro
I'm PanSola, a helper on Wikia Gaming stuff. I want to cheer you on for having started a new gaming-related wiki, and see if there is anything I can help a fellow Wikian with. I have been an admin on the GuildWiki for quite a while, and have hung around a number of different wikis. So if you need help with any thing, don't hesitate to ask!
Some stuff of note (some are repeats of what Catherine's link above says, but I want to emphasis some different points):
- Main Page design - It may be a good idea to make some of your main important content directly available and linked to from the Main Page. You can check out and borrow/modify a number of different layout designs from w:c:gamingstarter and various big wikis listed on the Gaming hub.
- For the quartz skins (default skin that most people sees) you can upload a 266 x 75 pixels image to Image:Wiki_wide.png. This will fill in the blank area at the top, to the left of the four links, with your image.
- For the monobook skin a number of users prefer to use, you can upload a 135 x 155 pixels image to Image:Wiki.png. This will replace the "This wiki does not yet have a logo" thing with your image.
- There is a Wikia gaming IRC channel, #wikia-gaming, where you can hop on, ask for help from users of other gaming wikis, or offer your own experiences. You can access it from http://irc.wikia.com/gaming . Different people may be on sporadically, but I'm organizing weekly chats at a fixed time so we can get the most number of people online at the same time to ask/answer questions, or just to hang out. You can find the time for the next chat by following this link.
- I'm hoping to have discussions on issues such as how the various gaming wiki communities may help each other out, such as exchanging experiences for community development, content organization, and attracting users. Hopefully I'll be able to get the admins and founders of some of the biggest gaming wikis (such as the WoWWiki) to come and offer their experience.
If you happen to be technologically-adventurous, I can also help you with handy tools that can enrich the formatting and organization of the wiki such as templates, parser functions, and various MediaWiki extensions.
Welcoming new users Edit
You may or may not have noticed, but this week we started running spotlights showing off this wiki to all of our Wikia sites. The banner has been getting a lot of clicks, so you may start seeing a lot of new faces around here. We've noticed that welcoming new users can have a tremendous impact on whether those new users edit once then go away, or stay and become valuable repeat contributors. Welcoming new users is really easy too--just go to your recent changes, hide anonymous edits and enhanced recent changes, then click on any "Talk" links that appear in red and leave the welcome template using the format:
Let me know if you have any questions!
Is there anythong I can do like stubs or something???I am happy to do them then! Marexl 21:05, 12 June 2008 (UTC)Marexl
Oh I know why.May I be an admin???I was the second person here and I know a lot about Street Fighter and I help new users. Marexl 03:02, 5 July 2008 (UTC)
How to make users into bureaucrats/adminsEdit
OH THANKS PHOBOS-ROMULUS!!!!!!Just to let you know on all other wikias there is a little symbol at the top of the users page like on KH Wikia the Staff there have Mini Keyblades.I think if you were to make our symbols B Crats would be Chun-Li and Admins would be Ryu.Just letting you know!!!Thanks!!If you need help ask Maverick because Im not the one to know how to make admin/b crat stuff like that. Marexl 22:14, 6 July 2008 (UTC)
Phobos, we would love to run a Fight Night for the SF4 release on Wikia (set for 24th - to give people a chance to play the game for a week). The last event we did for Soul Calibur was a ton of fun and we would like to do the same for the SF community. We'll be giving out gift cards and SF4 controllers to the community. Let me know if you have any questions. -- Doug (talk) 19:44, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
About Final Fight and Crossovers Edit
Technically Final Fight is in the same universe as Street Fighter so can articles about Final Fight things be included on the wiki as well. Also with the crossover games such as Capcom vs. SNK, Tatsunoko and Marvel can each of the crossover playable characters have their own article but limited with only things in the crossover such as their moves and brief story in that game. - Slayer25769
Okay I am back an patrolling the Wiki just in case somebody tries to do stupid things on the pages. I will also fix errors (like spelling) and edit and all that. I will try and see if I can finish the pages I am making. —SunGoddess 14:20, August 10, 2010 (UTC)
Upcoming Quiz Edit
Wikia is working on a new quiz feature and we're hoping you guys will check it out and give us your feedback. You can read more details on the related blog HERE - please let us know what you think once it's gone live, we're really hoping you enjoy it!
I've been asked to add "something" to the mainpage about it when it's ready, but I see that one of the four slider spots is currently linked to the mainpage itself, which the slider is actually on. If we could PLEASE, please temporarily use that slider spot - or one of the others if you prefer - to link to this quiz, we'd VERY much appreciate it.
- If you have any questions at all, please feel free to message me on my talk page.http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/SCOTIMUS76/siggy3.png (talk) 09:27, June 28, 2011 (UTC)
Is it ok to make a page with Ruby Heart, but say she isn't exatly a Capcom charcter.
She actully was created by Capcom therefore she was on the Capcom side.